THQ Content Update [UPDATE]
[UPDATE: The winners of the auctions have been announced earlier today (according to court documents):
- Nordic Games - Darksiders, Red Faction, de Blob, MX vs ATV, Big Beach Sports, Destroy All Humans!, Summoner, Marvel Super Hero, Supreme Commander, Worms
- Gearbox - Homeworld series
- 505 Games - Drawn to Life series]
Earlier this year THQ completely went to pieces (literally) and liquidated all of its intellectual property after filing for bankruptcy. Well not all of its property, there were actually quite a few franchises that were left in limbo. Announced today is the fate of all these beloved games. We have a few heroes coming to our aid.
17 bids (as reported by Polygon) for this content have been submitted to the bankruptcy courts with final decisions to be made in May of this year. All of the content has been lumped together in 6 lots and should net around $6 million:
- Darksiders series
- Red Faction series
- Homeworld series
- MX series
- Other Owned Software, including Big Beach Sports, Destroy All Humans!, Summoner, and more
- Other Licensed Software, including Marvel Super Hero, Supreme Commander, Worms, and more
The 2 development houses that have expressed major interest in THQ content are Crytek and teamPixel. Crytek CEO has expressed major interest in the Darksiders franchise. Also in January teamPixel put together an Indiegogo campaign to purchase the rights to the Homeworld franchise.
Oh my, a Darksiders game developed on the CRYTEK3 engine?! This can only be a dream.